Freezer food is where it’s at these days, and not the bargain bucket of Smiley Faces and Captain Birdseye winking back at us in the supermarket. Batch cooking and freezing is the only feasible way I can make sure my family are getting a healthy diet 80% of the time. The other 20% lends itself to inevitable quick fixes when we screech through the door after nursery and find the freezer stocks are at an all-time zero and we reach for the baked beans.
I mentioned in one of my latest Instagram posts that Jamie Oliver was quoted in a Times supplement a few weeks ago about an enormous freezer and 2 dishwashers being his latest kitchen must-haves. I wholeheartedly agree. Having a well-stocked freezer doesn’t need to be time consuming. Be realistic about how much you can cook in one stint – I think one or 2 recipes is more than enough, and if you find a window once or twice during the week to cook these recipes, you’ll find by the end of the month your freezer will be groaning with delicious goodies to keep you and your family nourished through the winter months.
If cooking portions for babies and toddlers, leftover Gu pots are ideal for this, just make sure you cover them well with clingfilm or foil to avoid freezer burn which essentially just dries out the food. Otherwise I swear by good old foil containers which are brilliant and you can wash and reuse: http://amzn.to/2f8fx0z
Ziplock bags are also ideal for soups, stews and stock – just make sure they are properly sealed before an accidental haemorrhage in your freezer. And not forgetting ice cube trays for fruit purees and pestos.